Formal Letter

Dear Professor Brad,


I hope the week has been good for you! My name is Sharleen Low, from your Effective Communication class tutorial group 3. I am writing to talk a little more about myself so you can get to know more about me. I graduated from Temasek Polytechnic with a diploma in Integrated Facilities Management two years ago, in 2019. After graduation, I decided to enter the workforce, starting my journey with Duke-NUS Medical School for 2 years. While I was working with my company, I developed an interest in engineering and decided to further studies so I can enhance my knowledge in this field.


Some communication strengths that I acquired from my experiences are being an active listener and having clarity in my speech. It is important to be an active listener as it would mean I am showing respect to the person I am communicating with, allowing them to feel more engaged. During my time in the workforce, I had to constantly interact with various personnel to discuss the projects or work done in both formal and informal meetings. Clarity is an important aspect to prevent any miscommunication and allow the other party to get my words and ideas.


A communication weakness I have is the occasional inaccurate use of nouns in my writing. I tend to mix up some of the pluralized regular nouns and singular uncountable nouns. For example, I might use the addition of -s in information which is an uncountable noun. It is something I want to improve on and correct so that my English would not seem as broken to other people reading what I have written. 


With that said, I am looking forward to attending your classes and enhancing my knowledge from both you and my peers with whom I am learning alongside with.


Best regards,


Sharleen Low



Comments

  1. Thanks much for writing and posting your letter already, Sharleen. It looks interesting. I'll give more comments once your blogging buddies have commented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharleen, it is really great knowing you more through your formal introduction email :)

    In your first paragraph, you have written that your purpose of writing this letter is to "talk a little more about yourself...". I thought that a better word choice for 'talk' would be 'share'.

    Similarly for what I have commented on Casimir's blog post, I noticed that you've written "Some of the communication strengths that I acquired from...." in the second paragraph of your introduction. I am not sure if you would agree with me but I was wondering if it should be "Some of the communication strengths that I HAVE acquired from..." instead?

    Do let me know your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, thank you for your comments. I do agree in the first paragraph, it would have been better to use share rather than talk.

      As for the second comment, the former is in simple past tense while the latter is in present perfect tense and both sentences are structurally coherent. Therefore, I think it would be alright to use either "I acquired" or "I have acquired"

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sharleen,

    Thank you for this fluent, expressive letter. You’ve covered the basic scope of the assignment and managed to demonstrate something about what makes you unique.

    Among others points, we readers learn that you worked at Duke-NUS, although you don't give much of an explanation of how your job there got you interested in studying engineering. Elucidating on your former work experience and how it connected to your current field of study would give more depth to this letter.

    At the same time, you do an admirable job of explaining how you developed stronger comm skills while working. Of course, my curiosity wants to learn even more to know what sort of projects you might have been involved in.

    In terms of communication goals, I can assure you that we will be doing detailed language reviews throughout the term. Beyond that I'd like to know what else you might imagine in terms of goals for the module. (Yes, I'm a glutton for details!)

    Still, it has been a pleasure to learn a little more about you in this letter, and I look forward to discovering more as the terms progresses.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sharleen,

    it was nice reading this intro letter as it was informative and concise in my opinion. I like how you illustrate your strength and weakness with relatable examples. I thought that "Clarity is an important aspect to prevent any miscommunication and allow the other party to get my words and ideas." was pretty well used in your structure too, and I agree with you on that. Knowing that you are quite active in class, together with your strength of being an active listener, I'm pretty sure you can overcome your weakness easily.

    Regards,
    Aceline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aceline, thank you for the comments, greatly appreciated. Do hope in the upcoming classes, we can get to know more about each other and work alongside.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts